SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY Denmark V. Netherlands

 Biking in Denmark and biking in The Netherlands is very different. It’s indisputable which one is better too. The Netherlands. But I’ve heard it both ways and can see both sides. 


In Denmark, I think the modes are more distinctly separated. When making a left turn you have to make a “box left” and cross at the intersection like the cars. Here, the bike lanes kind of just drop off and you catch them on the other side of the intersection. It takes practice and you’re often situated right next to cars and trucks. Hopefully, they don’t make a right turn in front of you. I saw a lot more people wearing helmets in Denmark and found myself dropped by a bike lane more often than in The Netherlands. 


In the Netherlands, every street is a biking street. I haven’t been dropped by a bike lane yet here. The intersections are easier to navigate. They’re built for the ease of bike and pedestrian use and cars are the afterthought. As a result, cars always always always have to yield to bikers even if there is no yield signal. I notice far more children biking on their own and at younger ages. I notice more children riding on their parent's bikes too. I think it’s way more instilled in the culture here. Bike lanes are clearly distinguishable by the red pavement so you always know where to be and the network is so complete. If there isn’t red asphalt it's probably because the street is already in a slow-moving neighborhood. People in The Netherlands signal less and bike next to each other more. Some think it is more chaotic but I think it is way less stressful because there are fewer “rules”. More room for “error”.  There is more eye contact and body language communication between users and therefore I think less conflict. 


Don’t get me wrong I absolutely loved Copenhagen. If I were going to live anywhere I think it would be Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Denmark and The Netherlands are both wonderful places but I just do prefer biking in the Netherlands. Finally, I think rural biking in the Netherlands Is more complete than in Denmark. Once you get out of Copenhagen there’s not much bike infrastructure in the rest of Denmark. 

Comments

Popular Posts